Senior Scientist, Preclinical Development (in vivo)
Full Time | San Francisco
Please send your resume and a short introduction to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Loyal is a seed stage company developing drugs to help companion dogs live longer, healthier lives. We apply innovative approaches to tackling aging as a disease that can be slowed and improved with medicines. Loyal is an early stage start-up company and is well funded by top venture capitalists and angels.
Loyal is hiring a Senior Scientist, Preclinical Development. You’ll join our aging biology team to execute in vivo projects in our canine preclinical development pipelines. The candidate will work with our Research and Development team to design, implement and manage collaborative experiments to identify and/or assess relevant aging biomarkers and functional endpoints. Focus will be on the design of experiments that allow for the translation of candidate molecules from preclinical laboratory assessment to clinical development. Applicants should have extensive experience in vivo study design (preferably with behavioral, molecular, and/or clinically relevant endpoints), strategic biomarker selection and a high level understanding of biological fluid-based assays and technologies.
Loyal is an early-stage company, which means there are no stringent hierarchies, silos or bureaucracy. While you will be ultimately responsible for executing key research projects, you will have ample opportunity to work with, learn from, and influence other sides of the company.
Loyal is founded and led by a first-gen, female CEO – we encourage and look forward to diverse applicants.
Education & Qualifications:
- PhD or equivalent experience in a STEM field (metabolic, muscle biology, neuroscience, molecular biology, biochemistry, analytical sciences, etc).
- Strong understanding of in vivo study design, execution and data analysis.
- High-level understanding of translational biomarker assays and technologies (ELISA, qPCR, LCMS)
- Adaptability, creativity and high-performer in risk-assessment and strategic thinking
- Detailed eye for logistics and problem solving
- Demonstrate scientific expertise and understanding of translational research in drug development.
- Willing to work and comfortable in a fast-paced startup environment with a dynamic team.
- Clear and polite communication skills
- Previous experience working with and/or managing external vendors and contract research organizations is a plus
Your daily work will include:
- Lead the design, study set up, management and interpretation of external laboratory-based preclinical studies
- Exercise your scientific expertise and knowledge to lead key projects and experiments for our drug development pipelines
- Contact external vendors and contract research organizations to assist in the drug development process
- Design and execute experiments providing technical and strategic input to support projects for key go/no-go decisions
- Work cross-functionally with the Research Operations team to implement and manage external preclinical studies
- Work both independently and collaboratively with the R&D Team on literature deep dives to assist with drug development pipelines
- Analyze and interpret preclinical study data and incorporate into official study reports and regulatory documents for FDA submission
- Accurate and detailed documentation of experiments and data
- Clearly communicate and discuss results in meetings with the Loyal team
While not necessary, we’d be especially excited if you have:
- At least 2 years experience running short- and long-duration, in vivo studies that have contributed to drug development programs
- Experience with basic data analysis tools (e.g. Excel, GraphPad Prism).
- Demonstrable interest or previous work in aging, longevity, age-related diseases, metabolism and/or cognition
- Previous experience working in a small, fast-paced biotechnology company.
- Dog person.
How You Work & Think
- Gladly participate in a team-oriented culture
- You need minimal supervision and are able to adapt to the dynamic of a startup environment.
- Detail oriented, disciplined, naturally seek ownership and responsibility, and happy working on a mix of the fascinating and the mundane.
- Highest standards for scientific quality and rigor.
- Clear communicator of scientific topics and challenges.
- Loves to learn and excited to self-teach random topics as relevant to the company and projects.
- Ability to meet or beat rapid deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Concise, logical thinker who can communicate complicated topics with ease.
- Growth mindset, value transparency, seek out feedback and iteration cycles.
- Full-time position based in San Francisco, CA - our offices are on Market Street near Noe Valley (Remote work is acceptable)
- Management of key ongoing experiments conducted with external research organizations and partners (i.e. no bench work)
- Competitive salary depending on your background & company shares
- Full coverage health/dental/vision
- Monthly learning budget for books and self-improvement
- Start ASAP
Health | Good health is critical to every other human (and animal!) experience. We believe health is a fundamental right and are dedicating our lives to maximizing health and developing better medicines for the worst diseases.
Truth Seeking & Feedback Loops | Uniquely in biology, there is a predetermined truth of whether a specific drug will work or not — we just have to catch up with biology! We seek out this truth and do not shy away from inconvenient truths. This holds for personal development too: we are always searching for feedback loops and embody a perpetual growth mindset.
Transparency | We believe full transparency in thoughts, opinions, intentions, and actions (both good ones and mistakes) is a better way to build a business and work together.
Morality & Empathy | We are developing medicines that may one day be given to a living animal, medicines that if designed badly could hurt that animal instead of help. This is a huge responsibility and should be respected as such. Our work needs to adhere to the strictest moral code and always integrate empathy for the patient.
Kindness | Great business(wo)men do not need to be ruthless — you can execute excellently with kindness.
Dog gifs | We love them.