Senior Scientist, Aging Biology
Full Time | San Francisco
Please send your resume and a short introduction to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Loyal is a seed stage company developing drugs to help dogs live longer, healthier lives. We see aging as a disease that can be slowed and improved with medicines. Loyal was spun out of Laura Deming’s The Longevity Fund and is well funded by top venture capitalists and angels.
Loyal is hiring a Senior Scientist, Aging Biology. You’ll join our aging biology team to execute in vitro pipeline projects in both the discovery and preclinical program. The candidate will work with our team of scientists to conduct experiments to define and detect relevant aging biomarkers and bring candidate molecules from research stage to clinical development. Applicants should have experience in basic laboratory procedures and molecular assays (i.e. ELISA, qPCR).
Loyal is an early-stage company, which means there are no stringent hierarchies, silos or bureaucracy. While you will be ultimately responsible for executing key research projects, you will have ample opportunity to work with, learn from, and influence other sides of the company.
Loyal is founded and led by a first-gen, female CEO – we encourage and look forward to diverse applicants.
Education & Qualifications:
- BSc, M.Sc., PhD or equivalent experience in a STEM field (molecular biology, biochemistry, analytical sciences, etc).
- Hands-on experience in the execution and generation of translational biomarker assays (ELISA, qPCR, western blots).
- Strong knowledge of fundamental laboratory techniques (DNA/RNA isolation, protein-based assays) and analysis.
- Demonstrate scientific expertise and understanding of translational research in drug development.
- Preference for candidates with at least 2 years of experience in the life sciences/biotech industry.
- Willing to work and comfortable in a fast-paced startup environment with a dynamic team.
Your daily work will include:
- Assist in the development and perform molecular experiments to assess the effects of our lead candidates in preclinical studies.
- Contact external vendors and contract research organizations to assist in the drug development process.
- Design and execute experiments providing technical and strategic input to support projects for key go/no-go decisions.
- Design and conduct candidate screening assays.
- Prepare biological samples, reagents and run assays using different methodologies.
- Writing study reports, conducting literature reviews, and troubleshooting assays.
- Working both independently and collaboratively with the R&D team to support research projects.
- Accurate and detailed documentation of experiments and sample tracking.
- Communicate and discuss results in meetings with the Loyal team.
While not necessary, we’d be especially excited if you have:
- Experience conducting cell line maintenance, reagent preparation, aseptic techniques, generation of expression vectors, cell transfection, and characterizing samples from cultured cells.
- Experience with basic data analysis tools (e.g. Excel, GraphPad Prism).
- Demonstrable interest or previous work in aging, longevity, age-related diseases.
- Previous experience working in a small biotechnology company.
- Dog person.
How You Work & Think
- Participate in a team-oriented culture.
- You need minimal supervision and are able to adapt to the dynamic of a startup environment.
- Detail oriented, disciplined, naturally seek ownership and responsibility, and happy working on a mix of the fascinating and the mundane.
- Highest standards for scientific quality and rigor.
- Clear communicator of scientific topics and challenges.
- Loves to learn and excited to self-teach random topics as relevant to the company and projects.
- Ability to meet or beat rapid deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Concise, logical thinker who can communicate complicated topics with ease.
- Growth mindset, value transparency, seek out feedback and iteration cycles.
- Based full time in San Francisco. Our offices are on Market Street near Noe Valley. We have laboratory space in the Dogpatch neighborhood and South San Francisco.
- Competitive salary depending on your background & company shares
- Full coverage health/dental/vision.
- Monthly learning budget for books and self-improvement.
- Start ASAP.
Health | Good health is critical to every other human (and animal!) experience. We believe health is a fundamental right and are dedicating our lives to maximizing health and developing better medicines for the worst diseases.
Truth Seeking & Feedback Loops | Uniquely in biology, there is a predetermined truth of whether a specific drug will work or not — we just have to catch up with biology! We seek out this truth and do not shy away from inconvenient truths. This holds for personal development too: we are always searching for feedback loops and embody a perpetual growth mindset.
Transparency | We believe full transparency in thoughts, opinions, intentions, and actions (both good ones and mistakes) is a better way to build a business and work together.
Morality & Empathy | We are developing medicines that may one day be given to a living animal, medicines that if designed badly could hurt that animal instead of help. This is a huge responsibility and should be respected as such. Our work needs to adhere to the strictest moral code and always integrate empathy for the patient.
Kindness | Great business(wo)men do not need to be ruthless — you can execute excellently with kindness.
Dog gifs | We love them.