Scientist - Aging Biology Assay Development
Full Time | San Francisco , CA
Celevity is a seed stage company developing drugs to help dogs live longer, healthier lives. We see aging as a disease that is able to be slowed and improved with medicines. Celevity was spun out of Laura Deming’s The Longevity Fund and is well funded by top venture capitalists and angels.
Celevity is hiring a Scientist. You’ll join our aging biology team to execute the in vitro portion of key pipeline projects, as well as focus on cell-based assay development and optimization You’ll work across multimodal biology projects to ensure our preclinical drug development pipeline is executed efficiently, rapidly, and to the highest quality.
Celevity is an early stage company, which means there are no stringent hierarchies, silos or bureaucracy. While you will be ultimately responsible for executing key research projects, you will have ample opportunity to work with, learn from, and influence other sides of the company.
Celevity is founded and led by a first-gen, female CEO – we encourage and look forward to diverse applicants.
Your daily work may include:
- Lead projects providing technical and strategic input to support new and established projects for key go/no-go decisionIndependently design, develop and optimize novel cell-based assays to model and measure changes in relevant aging-related pathways (i.e. ELISA, qPCR, Western Blot)
- Design and conduct candidate screening assays and define mechanism-of-action in related therapeutic areas
- Spearhead multiple projects with diverse biology and endpoints
- Remain an expert in the scientific literature to synthesize the best methods for specific outcomes
- Prepare, present and review scientific presentations for internal/external use
- Support preparation of preclinical study reports and regulatory documents
- Work with cross-functional teams to bring candidate molecules from research stage to clinical development
You’ll be directly responsible for executing key portfolio experimental milestones supporting the Celevity mission and push forward the biology from in vitro to in Fido.
Education & Work Experience:
- Ph.D. degree in cell biology, pharmacology or related discipline with 4+ years of academic or industrial research experience
- Strong skills in developing and optimizing molecular biomarker assays as well as designing and implementingin-vitro experiments to answer key mechanistic questions
- If you are coming straight out of an academic laboratory (Ph.D. or post-doc), you should have demonstrable experience in working independently requiring minimal supervision, timeline management, and organizational excellence.
How You Work & Think
- You are independent, need minimal supervision and are able to adapt quickly to change.
- Detail oriented, disciplined, naturally seek ownership and responsibility, and happy working on a mix of the fascinating and the mundane.
- Highest standards for scientific quality and rigor.
- Clear communicator of scientific topics and challenges.
- Loves to learn and excited to self-teach random topics as relevant to the company and projects.
- Ability to meet or beat rapid deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Concise, logical thinker who can communicate complicate topics with ease.
- Growth mindset, value transparency, seek out feedback and iteration cycles.
While not necessary, we’d be especially excited if you have:
- Demonstrable previous interest or work in aging, longevity, age-related diseases.
- Previous experience working in a small biotechnology company.
- Dog person :)
- Based full time in San Francisco. Our offices are on Market Street near Noe Valley. We have laboratory space in the Dogpatch neighborhood and South San Francisco.
- Competitive salary depending on your background & preferred ratio of salary to shares
- Full coverage health/dental/vision
- Monthly learning budget for books and self-improvement
- Start ASAP