Associate Research Scientist
Full Time | San Francisco
Loyal is hiring an Associate Research Scientist. You’ll join our aging biology team to execute in vitro pipeline projects in both the discovery and preclinical program. The candidate will work with our team of scientists to conduct experiments to define and detect relevant aging biomarkers and bring candidate molecules from research stage to clinical development. Applicants should have experience in basic laboratory procedures and molecular assays (i.e. ELISA, qPCR).
Loyal is founded and led by a first-gen, female CEO – we encourage and look forward to diverse applicants.
Education & Work Experience:
- BSc, M.Sc., PhD or equivalent experience in a STEM field (molecular biology, biochemistry, analytical sciences, etc).
- Strong knowledge of fundamental laboratory techniques (DNA/RNA isolation, protein detection) and analysis.
- Preference for candidates with at least 2 years of experience in conducting hands-on bench research.
- If you are coming straight out of an academic laboratory, you should have demonstrable experience in working independently requiring minimal supervision, timeline management, and organizational excellence.
- Preference for technical experience in the life sciences/biotech industry.
Your daily work will include:
- Assist in development and perform molecular experiments (i.e. ELISA, qPCR) to assess the effects of our lead candidates in preclinical studies.
- Prepare biological samples, reagents and run assays using different methodologies.
- Spearhead multiple projects with diverse biology and endpoints.
- Writing study reports and standard operating procedures (SOP).
- Working both independently and collaboratively with the scientist team to support research projects.
- Conduct literature reviews and troubleshoot experiments
- Perform shipping coordination activities.
- Accurate and detailed documentation of experiments and sample tracking
- Communicate and discuss results in meetings with the Loyal team.
While not necessary, we’d be especially excited if you have:
- Hands-on experience conducting studies with mammalian cells, reagent preparation, aseptic techniques, and characterizing of cells (hemocytometer, microscope).
- While in vivo experience is not required, there is an opportunity to assist with management and tracking of the rodent colony and detailed data recording.
- Experience with cell culture assays.
- Experience with basic data analysis tools (e.g. Excel, GraphPad Prism).
- Demonstrable interest or previous work in aging, longevity, age-related diseases.
- Previous experience working in a small biotechnology company.
- Dog person.
How You Work & Think
- Participate in a team-oriented culture.
- You need minimal supervision and are able to adapt to the dynamic of a startup environment.
- Detail oriented, disciplined, naturally seek ownership and responsibility, and happy working on a mix of the fascinating and the mundane.
- Highest standards for scientific quality and rigor.
- Clear communicator of scientific topics and challenges.
- Loves to learn and excited to self-teach random topics as relevant to the company and projects.
- Ability to meet or beat rapid deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Concise, logical thinker who can communicate complicated topics with ease.
- Growth mindset, value transparency, seek out feedback and iteration cycles.
- Based full time in San Francisco. Our offices are on Market Street near Noe Valley. We have laboratory space in the Dogpatch neighborhood and South San Francisco.
- Competitive salary depending on your background & company shares
- Full coverage health/dental/vision.
- Monthly learning budget for books and self-improvement.
- Start ASAP.